[wpkg-users] Updating packages without disrupting end users

Jon Rhoades jrhoades at svi.edu.au
Thu Jul 18 05:28:33 CEST 2013

Hi Antony,

Ideally you will want to run WPKG at startup (or shutdown) so there's no chance that a program will be in use.

Typically an installer can handle the fact that the program it's updating is running, so most people will just let that install fail rather than kill the running program and potentially lose data.

However most of the time you see taskkill being used is where you need to ensure that a separate application isn't running - eg Flash & Java won't install correctly if Firefox is running - hence you end up with an inconsistent installation state where WPKG thinks that Flash is correctly installed, but the plugin didn't get added to Firefox. To avoid this we run Taskkill on Firefox before installing Flash, to ensure Firefox isn't running so the plugin can be added.

It's a trade off between ensuring a clean install and annoying a user by having a program quit for no apparent reason.

That said, don't run WPKG when users are logged on or you will have many other issues - for example; what happens when somebody tries to run a program that is being updated? Run it at startup or shutdown.

Cheers Jon

--
Jon Rhoades
Research Information Systems

St Vincent's Institute
9 Princes St Fitzroy Vic 3065
p: 03 9288 2480 | x: 2399 | f: 03 9416 2676

www.stv.unimelb.edu.au
www.svi.edu.au