[wpkg-users] Updating packages without disrupting end users

heiko.helmle at horiba.com heiko.helmle at horiba.com
Fri Jul 19 12:07:05 CEST 2013

> Hi Folks:
>
> Several of the silent installers in the WPKG database use taskkill
> when updating from one version of a package to a newer version (e.g.
> Firefox).
>
> From an end user perspective, this means that I could be using an
> application or a browser and my application will be terminated with no
> notification and I will lose all my work.

The best way would be making sure that no user is logged in during a WPKG
run - either run on startup or on shutdown or at least make the user aware
that wpkg is going to run and that all applications should be closed.

for me the taskkills are just a failsafe if a process gets left or
something. Stupid installers (java for example) tend to completely bork
the installation if files are locked (and killing java.exe is _not_ enough
if you have applications that lock jar files directly (smartsvn is an
example))

Best Regards
Heiko