[wpkg-users] Global max execution time hardcoded?

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Mon Mar 25 19:02:38 CET 2013

Hi Marco,

On 25.03.2013 18:36, Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> Rainer, i restate: it is true also the converse. I can put a rather
> short ''default'' timeout and use a 'timeout=' option in recipes to
> specific commands.

Sure, but this would pretty much break all (or many, depending on value)
package. The current value proved to be usable for basically any package as most
users are expected not to specify a timeout value per command.

>> I think it's a bad idea to let users configure a value which might
>> easily create issues.
>
> Rainer, sorry but... WPKG users are not properly ''users'', but
> sysadmin.

Even sysadmins are just humans and can do errors or just be overwhelmed by
unnecessary options.

> And i'm not speaking about changing the default timeout value, but
> simply make it configurable, with a default value of '3600'.
>

> I'm really asking a so extravagant thing? I'm asking also to other list
> users...

Well, I am just saying that the current default seems to be OK for almost all
commands used. I guess less than 1% of packages use a timeout in any command due
to problems with the default one. Even if it is configurable it would be very
hard to find any better value. And if you need to change it then just change the
value in wpkg.js.

It would not be difficult to make it configurable after all but I don't see any
reason for this at the moment and you have not been able yet to convince me that
it is required to set the value.

Although I am open to discuss this also with different WPKG users and
contributors. Especially since I am absolutely convinced that some reported
issues in the future would be because of improperly chosen timeout value which
might lead to spurious events at execution time and are therefore hard to debug.

To unterline that I am not just willing to block such issue I recommend a poll.
Please feel free to vote here:

<http://doodle.com/8yr7ehwt5kgr8qtq>