[wpkg-users] Global max execution time hardcoded?

Stefan Pendl stefan.pendl.71 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 23:25:14 CET 2013

Am 25.03.2013 19:02, schrieb Rainer Meier:

> Well, I am just saying that the current default seems to be OK for
> almost all commands used. I guess less than 1% of packages use a timeout
> in any command due to problems with the default one. Even if it is
> configurable it would be very hard to find any better value. And if you
> need to change it then just change the value in wpkg.js.

At work I used the timeout attribute on some packages in the past, but
now they are all gone, since the installers are now configured correctly.

I do have many packages that need nearly an hour to install, so I like
the default timeout value.

At home I am using WPKG to keep my VMs up-to-date, where I only install
packages that need a maximum of 20 minutes to install.
I see no reason to change the default timeout to a lower value at home,
since everything works fine with the current one hour default.

Summarizing, if you need a timeout, then it is likely that there is
something wrong with your package.
I have seen packages behave differently when WPKG is run interactively,
by WPKG client or by a scheduled task.

I have always been able to find a solution that works in all three cases
without using any timeout.
Sure you have to invest some time and research, but the next update will
go smooth, so you have an advantage after the second run.

--
Stefan P.

Top-posting: