[wpkg-users] Strict depend/chain checks or conflicts on 1.3.1?

Carlos R. Pasqualini pasqualinic at fcal.uner.edu.ar
Thu Jun 19 22:14:13 CEST 2014

El jue, 19-06-2014 a las 21:33 +0200, Rainer Meier escribió:
> Hi Marco,
>
> On 19.06.2014 18:24, Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> > Mandi! Rainer Meier
> >    In chel di` si favelave...
> >
> >> WPKG will in your case obviously first apply the libreoffice-help-it
> >> package which is very likely directly assigned in profile.
> >
> > Ahem, no, in profile i set only:
> >
> > 	<package package-id="libreoffice" />
> >
> > So i suppose thatm, because 'libreoffice' chain 'libreoffice-help-it'
> > and 'libreoffice-help-it' depend on 'libreoffice', there's no
> > circularity.
>
> There is. Chains are processed before the package installation is finished
> (since chained packages are part of the package installation which executes the
> chain). So therefore it still leads to circular dependency.
>
> But in your log I see clearly that the execution starts at libreoffice-help-it
> and not at libreoffice. So the execution goes exactly as I described:
> -> libreoffice-help-it -> libreoffice -> libreoffice-help-it
>

> > Probably i've missed that:
> >
> >> (well, actually it's in the middle of it but WPKG would enter
> >> vicious circle now entering installation of libreoffice-help-it
> >> again).
> >
> > so, if i've understood well, 'chain' mean that i install BEFORE
> > (or AT THE SAME TIME) 'libreoffice-help-it'. Right?
>
> Chain means the package which is chained is executed right after all commands of
> the package which specifies the chain. But since exit status of chained/depends
> packages is evaluated to the package which specifies the chain is NOT finished
> until all chains/depends/includes are finished.
>
> So in your case libreoffice will chain libreoffice-help-it and therefore after
> executing all libreoffice commands it will start execution of
> libreoffice-help-it. This will take place before libreoffice package is finally
> terminated since libreoffice needs to know the success state of
> chains/depends/includes in order to know the success state of libreoffice.
>

> >> The result at the end is a completely updated system including
> >> libreoffice and libreoffice-help-it packages. Even though an error
> >> is reported due to internal dependency cycle.
> >
> > Yes, i've not run two time WPKG to keep log, and after posting that
> > message i've found that effectively, all installation goes well.
>
> I think on next WPKG run you won't have an error printed any more since all
> packages are updated successfully. The algorithm of WPKG just prevents loops and
> in your case even with circular dependency everything installs fine.
>

> br,
> Rainer

In addition to what Rainer explains (which is very clear, thanks Rainer)
what i have in the package definition of libreoffice is:

<package id="libreoffice" ... priority="60">
<depends package-id="java7" />
<include package-id="libreoffice-help" />
</package>

<package id="libreoffice-help" ... priority="10">
<depends package-id="libreoffice" />
</package>

My thought was that include is like depends but with an explicit time
definition 'after' the current package; for be more speciffic on this y
put a depends on libreoffice-help, and libreoffice-help is not included
in any profile, so it can only be called from libreoffice.

Hope it helps

Best Regards

Charly