[wpkg-users] Retrieving a program's version

Frank Morawietz nestolea at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 21:32:18 CET 2014

Hi there,

I just recently started to manage my family's computers (6 currently)
with WPKG. My setup already works quite well and WPKG saves me a lot of
time. This list and the documentation on the website is a great source
for learning about WPKG, which I do nearly every day. But now I have an
idea where I can't find the needed information. (And don't know if it is
possible at all...)

I know that I can define variables for the packages, e.g. to define the
wanted version of a program. And I can retrieve the version of an
installed program. I can even verify those two. But, can I retrieve the
version of an installed program into a variable?

The idea is to get an overview about what software is installed in which
version on all the computers, e.g. by writing this version into a
dedicated file on the network share.

Further, there are programs that update them self, Google Chrome for
example. This mostly works, but in rare cases it does not. I would like
to kind of monitor whether this auto update works correctly.

Is it possible to retrieve the installed software's version for further
flexible processing?

Thanks and regards
--
Frank Morawietz