[wpkg-users] WPKG and Windows 8 quirks (was: WPKG Client modified to run at Windows Vista, 7, 8 shutdown)

Frank Morawietz nestolea at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 20:26:18 CET 2014

G.Ott schrieb:
> Krzysztof Gibas schrieb:
>> Hello,
>>
>> simply put I've modified WPKG service source code to make software
>> installation at shutdown in Windows Vista and newer possible.
[...]
>> I'm a long time Wpkg user. I like it very much. I use it mostly in
>> small and medium-sized environments. And my favourite way of running
>> it is definitely at shutdown.
[...]
>> I've tested this on Windows 7 and XP.
>>
>> I'm waiting for your feedback.
[...]
> Only now I read your message and had the time to try the Wpkgsrv_x64 on
> a virtual machine and it works fine!
>
> Will give more feedback about running on real machines next week.
> My favourite way of running wpkg is at shutdown as well.

Which Windows version did you use for testing?
I would expect some problems with Windows 8 and above (8.1 currently) .

As far as I understand it, Windows 8 does not shut down if you tell it
to shut down. Instead, it logs off the user and goes into some kind of
hibernate mode (saving the main memory to a file) before the computer is
switched off.

If you turn the computer on again, it awakes from hibernation, i.e.
loads the saved contents into main memory again instead of performing a
complete boot process.

This cheat makes the boot process look very fast to the user. But I
learned that Windows 8 machines usually do 'real' boots only once a
month: After the Microsoft security updates.

My solution to cope with this peculiarity was to create a batch script
that restarts the WPKG service. Using the task manager I run this script
once a day. (It's important to configure that the task should catch up
if it missed the planned execution time because the computer was
switched off.)

How do others ensure that WPKG is run regularly on Windows 8 or 8.1 ?

Regards,
Frank
--
Frank Morawietz