[wpkg-users] Still confused about Pro & Cons of WPKG-Client, WPKG-GP-Client and Startup-Script

manfred at hoffmaenner.net manfred at hoffmaenner.net
Fri Nov 21 10:56:17 CET 2014

Hello there WPKG-Community,
let me start by saying thanks for such a wonderful piece of software!

After reading and testing quite a bit, I am still pretty confused about the Pro &
Cons of the different ways to run WPKG in a domain-network with Win7-clients.

( A quote from the WPKG-GP-website: "This has traditionally been done either by
running WPKG as a Group Policy Script, or by running the WPKG project's WPKG
Client. The first has several limitations, the second does not support delayed
logon on Windows >= Vista due to new security features in Windows." )

>From what I understand(and have already tested) running WPKG.JS from within a
startup (or shutdown)-script works well as described here:
http://wpkg.org/WPKG_with_Active_Directory#Active_Directory_settings.

The drawback with this method is the lack of feedback for the user about what is
happening. Are there any other limitations as mentioned in the quote above, that
I don't see?

The real confusion(for me!) comes in with the different version of the
WPKG-Client("vanilla" vs WPKG-GP) when used with Windows Vista or higher.
Am I right in assuming, that they both support the same set of features, except
for WPKG-GP also allowing for user-feedback at startup/shutdown ?

Hope someone can shed some light on these questions for me ;-)

Cheers and thanks for your time,
Manfred.