[wpkg-users] Chocolatey?

Marco Schmidt schmidt at fgcz.ethz.ch
Sun Nov 2 12:36:40 CET 2014

At least my small list started a small discussion.

After I read the article from Heise (c't 7/2014 p.176) I can give you
some additional technical infos/differences to WPKG. Maybe I will be
wrong at some points, please feel free to correct me and add your
knowledge.

I will number the differences for better reference in the responses (not
for ranking!!).
I will try to list them without putting a positive or negative
classification on them, because this depends on your special
environment/needs.

1. Chocolatey has a central external repository which is maintained by a
community - WPKG has a individual repository which needs to be filled by
each admin manually (some script example are in the wiki).

2. Chocolatey is made for "manual" install - WPKG has a service running
on startup for automatically install/update packages.

3. WPKG has a central configuration which packages should be installed
on which host - Chocolatey need to be embedded in additional tools to
achieve this (Chef,Puppet, WPKG).

Greetings ...
  Marco