[wpkg-users] Virtual package?

Stefan Pendl stefan.pendl.71 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 22:09:45 CET 2014

Am 06.11.2014 um 09:39 schrieb Marco Gaiarin:
> Mandi! Stefan Pendl
>    In chel di` si favelave...
>
>> I still don't get the differences between the still and fresh
>> LibreOffice packages
> 	http://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/
>
> 	http://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-still/
>
> As just stated, stability VS fetures.

As far as I know, LibreOffice will remove any previous version
automatically, if a newer is installed.
So you don't gain anything if you block removing one or the other if you
change the package assignment.

Changing from fresh to still and vice versa,will always end in remove
followed by install, even without any remove commands.

Downgrading will need a remove as well to keep the installer from hanging.

I would just concentrate on one release branch, but that is my personal
opinion.

If I would use both branches in my environment, I would install one or
the other on each machine and not change between them.

 From my understanding, the still branch will get retired, so the last
release of the fresh branch will migrate to still.
This only results in a version change from the installer point of view.

Keep both branches in one repository, 4.2.x is currently still, 4.3.x is
currently fresh.
4.3.x will get still when 4.4.x is released, so you just need to update
the version number and nothing else.

Can you post an example where you describe the conditions the
installation of one or the other branch should trigger, so we can work
out a virtual package for you.

It can all be done now, without adding another layer of complexity by
introducing new keywords.

--
Stefan P.

Top-posting: