[wpkg-users] Frontend/GUI/Software center a la munki

Adam Thorn alt36 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Dec 4 17:15:55 CET 2015

> I'm wondering if anybody has seen/created something for Windows/Wpkg
> like this tool for Munki/OS X:
>
> https://www.munki.org/munki/#get-help
>
> We are using this "Managed software center" for our Apple users,
> so they can install optional software packages as needed. The user
> doesn't need admin rights but can choose from offered programs
> according to it's business/group.

The system we use in my organisation is to generate profiles via php -
ie, in wpkg's config.xml we set wpkg_base to http://example.com/wpkg/
and web_profiles_file_name to profiles_xml.php. We have an sql database
that stores all sorts of information about our computers; the php script
queries the database which returns a list of which wpkgs should be
installed in a given profile.

We then let users decide what is installed on their computer by going to
a fairly simple php webpage and ticking/unticking boxes, which updates
the database. Our database also records which user is using which
computer, so people can only choose software for their own computer.

I'm afraid that's necessarily quite a bespoke solution, due to
integration with our database design (NB our database is used for all
managing all sorts of things other than just wpkg, and in fact we were
using the database long before we used wpkg). But, it might offer some
pointers for designing a local solution.

Adam