[wpkg-users] Exit code Java installer

Frank Morawietz nestolea at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 21:56:05 CET 2015

Hello List,

sorry for the delay. It's been a busy time plus I only occasionally can
get direct access to the machine for experiments...

>> is it a 64-Bit Windows (8) OS and do you deploy Java in the context of
>> the SYSTEM account?
>
> Exactly! But I have several machines with this constellation and only one of them fails.

My fault, I was wrong. I verified and I noticed that it's the only one
with this constellation. Consistent behaviour.

> Also, you can create a log file:
> jre-8u65-windows-i586.exe /L "C:\javalog.txt"

This was easy, but couldn't explain why it failed. Messages like

MSI (s) (5C:A4) [16:22:06:844]: MainEngineThread is returning 3

are neither new nor helpful to me...

Then I tried what looked like the easiest solution to me: PsExec
But I didn't get past the known error value 3 or an installation hanging
forever.

It even doesn't work interactively:

C:\> C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c PsExec -s jre-8u65-windows-i586.exe
 /s REBOOT=Suppress

PsExec v1.98 - Execute processes remotely
Copyright (C) 2001-2010 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

jre-8u65-windows-i586.exe exited on XXX with error code 3.

Exactly the same with "PsExec -s -i" (additional -i flag), interactively
as well as with WPKG.

Running above command with "PsExec -d -s -i" (additional -d flag)
resulted in an installation completely hanging. PsExec and MSIexec
running in the background using no processor time and with no noticeable
activity. This is the case interactively as well as with WPKG. In the
latter case the WPKG service is hanging, too. Even for several days, if
the PC is not rebooted...

> Then have a look here:
> https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=77777777-0000-0000-0000-000014761812

I guess, this will be the next thing to try.

> If you need further help, i can provide a package with the correct
> mklink commands ;)

Yes please Holger, I would be very grateful if you could provide this
package. Either via PM or the list.

Thanks in advance,
Frank
--