[wpkg-users] Wifi-Only Clients & Software Deployment

Dave Evans dave.evans at goodness.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 17:25:30 CET 2016

On 15/12/2016 14:11, Paul McGrath wrote:
> Hi Holger,
>    Even for our wired connections we have the WPKG Service running in 'Automatic (delayed start)' so it doesn't run until a couple of minutes after the client has made a connection usually via logon.
> Paul

We've set something up for our roaming users where wpkg runs off a local
copy of the wpkg folder.
so at startup, wpkg runs and processes any updates
then after wpkg is finished (it could be a wpkg package but we didn't do
it that way) another process runs which rsyncs the latest copies of the
updates from the central server.
the downside is that the client needs to have a local copy of all
packages (is about 1GB at present) and this feels to me like an ugly
kludge, but at less than 1% of the hard drive size it's not worth
investing time to make it cleaner.
the upside is that wpkg runs OK, before the user starts their work (as
it should), and then if the rsync fails, we can try again in the
background later.
this works for offsite laptops, and would work for your wifi connected
users.

Dave