[wpkg-users] Best way to deal with depends you want to keep installed?

Nils Thiele it.service.kultur at uni-hamburg.de
Wed Sep 28 13:24:40 CEST 2016

Hey,

i was wondering what is the best way to deal packages that were
installed by another one using the depend tag but you want to keep them
installed when you remove the original one.

I have a program that depends on .Net 4.5.2, at the time i created the
package this version wasn't pushed through windows updates to all
clients yet. My .Net package has several registry checks to for all
kinds of updated .Net versions.

Now when i want to remove the original program it will try to remove
.Net as well as its not registered to that system anymore but i don't
want to do this of course, maybe even impossible on more modern Windows
versions.

I have no uninstall command for the .Net package but it will always
return with an error because wpkg detects it as still installed because
of the registry checks.

I could of course add .Net to all those systems as seperate package but
is there another solution? That would wpkg happily remove the package
and trick it so it thinks it is successfully removed without breaking
the package for others system that may not have .Net installed yet?

Thanks for any tips!

Best Regards,

Nils

--
IT-Support - Fachbereich 09 Kulturgeschichte und Kulturkunde
Universität Hamburg
Email: it.service.kultur at uni-hamburg.de