[wpkg-users] Best way to deal with depends you want to keep installed?

Dafydd Jones (techneg.it) dafydd at techneg.it
Thu Sep 29 11:14:03 CEST 2016

On Wednesday, 28 September 2016, Nils Thiele <
it.service.kultur at uni-hamburg.de> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> i was wondering what is the best way to deal packages that were installed
> by another one using the depend tag but you want to keep them installed
> when you remove the original one.
>
> I have a program that depends on .Net 4.5.2, at the time i created the
> package this version wasn't pushed through windows updates to all clients
> yet. My .Net package has several registry checks to for all kinds of
> updated .Net versions.
>
> Now when i want to remove the original program it will try to remove .Net
> as well as its not registered to that system anymore but i don't want to do
> this of course, maybe even impossible on more modern Windows versions.
>
> I have no uninstall command for the .Net package but it will always return
> with an error because wpkg detects it as still installed because of the
> registry checks.
>
> I could of course add .Net to all those systems as seperate package but is
> there another solution? That would wpkg happily remove the package and
> trick it so it thinks it is successfully removed without breaking the
> package for others system that may not have .Net installed yet?
>
> Thanks for any tips!
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Nils

Hi Nils,

I just had to do something similar myself, but I don't know if this is the
best or only way.
What worked for me is to remove the package checks and add execute="once"
to the package declaration. You may also need to increment the package
version number.

Hope to help,
Dafydd