[wpkg-users] ghostware?

Nils Thiele it.service.kultur at uni-hamburg.de
Fri Mar 31 10:23:32 CEST 2017

Hi,

What unresolved issues do you have with the gpe execution on windows 10?

At least with fastboot disabled (we have SSDs in all current systems) it
works fine on all system we have shipped so far (Clean install,
Enterprise LTSB 2016 and Education).
I would love to be able to improve the boot execution method of wpkg-gp
but since its developed in c++ its out of my league.

Any other  improvement ideas or wishes for the wpkg-gp background
service or the client are appreciated and i would try to implement them.
I hope to be able to continue active development on both projects in the
next month, but besides a better notification gui for the client and
fixing the makemsi.exe dependencies i have nothing new on my agenda. the
lastest version of my wpkg-gp mod is working fine so far without any
problems in our environment and i started using it in production since
the beginning of the year. Only improvement planned is to reduce the
eventlog output produced by the update query.

Is there a place on the wiki for a wpkg.js wishlist for future
improvements? Maybe we should start collecting those so in case somebody
continues development.

Best Regards,
Nils

Am 30.03.2017 um 09:30 schrieb heiko.helmle at horiba.com:
> > > Hi
> > > Just a query really. Sorry if this is the wrong mailing list.
> > > Is WPKG a dead project now. I notice there hasn't been a release
> since 2014.
> > > Has it entered the realm of ghostware, and if it has, shouldn't the
> > > website say so?
> >
> > Mature software does not need updates every day.
> > Have a look at this mailing list. There are still users and supporters
> > here (including me). The WPKG "server" componnent wpkg.js is quite
> > feature-complete for now and works pretty well in most situations.
> > Currently there are no critical bugs known.
> >
> > So no, the project is not dead but is currently in maintenance mode as
> > larger feature request implementations would require some major rewrite
> > which is currently on-hold due to limited resource. The existing
> > components work as expected and help is provided in mailing lists.
> >

> Hello Rainer,
>
> you're right. wpkg.js is pretty complete and the lackings are minor
> (i'd have some ideas for new features though). What WPKG is
> desperately missing is steady support on the Front-End.
>
> The "official" WPKG client is practically dead, only working properly
> on XP (by design) and it's successor, WPKG-GP - while being a
> tremendously good idea and product - does have unsolved problems on
> Win10 that make it's main working mode (GPE) unreliable. With Nils'
> GUI-Addition there's a nice workaround (and finally a GUI).
>
> I sincerely hope that this fork will get some more love - i do like
> it, but my non-programmer love will probably not be that useful :)
>
> Best Regards
>  Heiko

IT-Support - Fachbereich 09 Kulturgeschichte und Kulturkunde
Universität Hamburg
Flügelbau West, R. 204
Edmund-Siemers-Allee 1
D-20146 Hamburg