[wpkg-users] windows 10

Frank Morawietz nestolea at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 20:31:24 CET 2018

Hi Andreas,

>> You need to take care of some special behavior of Windows 10. By default
>> Windows 10 does not completely shut down when you shut it down. It's more
>> like hibernate/sleep mode. Wpkg service only runs during regular startup
>> and therefore it might run nearly never on Windows 10.
>>
>> Because of this I created a small batch script that restarts the wpkg
>> service and I configured a task to run this script once per day. With this
>> trick wpkg works on Windows 10 for me like it did on Windows 7 before.
>
> That's a great idea! Do you happen to have some pointers for how to add the
> task? Did you add it so that it runs as SYSTEM user? The script is just `net
> stop/start` or did you have add some sleep?

The task runs under an administrative user account.
It is configured like this in my German Windows version (rough translations
in brackets):

Tab Allgemein (General):
X  Unabhängig von Benutzeranmeldung   (independent from user login)

Tab Trigger:
Nach Zeitplan --> täglich --> 12:12:12 Uhr --> Verzögern für maximal 10
Minuten   (With schedule --> daily --> 12:12:12 o'clock --> delay for max 10
minutes)

Tab Bedingungen (conditions):
[X]  Nur bei bestehender Netzwerkverbindung   (only when connected to the
network)

Tab Einstellungen (settings):
[X]  Nachholen, wenn geplanter Start nicht stattgefunden hat   (catch up if
not started as planned)

[If the system was not running at scheduled time, this ensures that
restarting the wpkg service is done 10 minutes after the computer is
switched on at any time.]

Tab Aktion (action):
[Path to local copy of batch script. Network share to wpkg files is not
connected, therefore use local copy.]

This description is for Windows 8, but Windows 10 should not be very different.

In the simple batch script I stop the service with

sc.exe stop WpkgService > NUL:

wait ten seconds and then I start it again with

sc.exe start WpkgService > NUL:

Best regards,
Frank
--