[debian-non-standard] debian on fsg - cannot connect to device after flashing though usb stick is blinking at boot

hathe at sidux.com hathe at sidux.com
Mon Mar 3 11:50:38 CET 2008

Hi,
I'm sorry to forget such important information like model ;-)
It's a Freecom FSG-3 160GB WLAN.
I already tried this howto about half a year ago with same success, but I was
able to flash it with freecom firmware using that windows recovery tool.
Did anybody try to install debian on that wlan version of the fsg?

On Monday 03 March 2008 08:17:30 Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> hathe at sidux.com schrieb:
> > Hi there,
> > I'm sorry, I posted the following on the discussion page of
> > http://wpkg.org/Running_Debian_on_Freecom_FSG-3 as well, I found that
> > mailing list right after posting.
> > So:
> > After flashing I cannot reach the device anymore. Though USB stick is
> > blinking while booting...is this entry in my local sources.list correct?
>
> sources.list? Are you confusing network configuration with apt
> (packager) configuration?

sorry, I meant /etc/network/interfaces of course, was just working with apt a
lot...

> Your PC needs to be in the same subnet to connect to the device.
>
> >  iface lan0 inet static
> >        address 192.168.111.187
> >        broadcast 192.168.111.191
> >        netmask 255.255.255.192
> >        network 192.168.111.128
>
> No, it's incorrect - there's no such device as lan0 in Linux. Why did
> you change it?

Is it wrong only cause I'm using a different device name? lan0 is my first
ethernet device. So are the settings correct?

> > Should i put the LAN cable to WAN port or one of the three LAN ports?
>
> Generally, it's up to you.
> eth0 is LAN, eth1 is WAN.
>
> > Is it be possible to change /etc/network/interfaces on the stick to dhcp?
>
> Yes, feel free to change it.
>
> > Or
> > why using such a 'uncommon' subnet?
>
> What's uncommon in it?
>
> > I don't have a local serial port anymore, I use a USB-Serial adapter, is
> > it possible to connect two of those to establish a serial link? (would be
> > FSG-USB->usb-serial adapter->usb-serial adapter->local usb port)
>
> It's enough to have one of those (USB-port in FSG - USB-serial cable -
> serial port in PC).

As I said I don't have a serial port anymore and I already use such a
USB-serial cable for my desktop.