[debian-non-standard] wireless on Asus wl500g Deluxe and 2.6 kernel

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Jan 7 17:27:54 CET 2010

Hi Amain,

thanks for your info.

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 05:05:11PM +0100, Amain (debwrt new) wrote:
> has been to my experiences quite problematic. I have been
> recompiling a lot of OpenWrt kernels with different versions of the
> b43 driver, the firmware and hostapd ( the daemon required to run AP
> mode ).

That is exactly what I was looking for, great!

> However, I have booked some results and made a webpage about it:
> http://www.debwrt.net/debwrt/b43/.

Great site. If I read this correctly, there is already a working
configuration with wpa, but the only (?) problem is that transfers to
the route (in contrast to through it) do not work well?

I usually do not connect to my router directly. It is just sitting in
some corner and doing it's job to serve as AP for the DSL connection.
I could maybe live with that (and connect a wire if I need to), if this
is the only issue.

Plus, if I am correct, that remaining issue seems to be more related to
kernel/network internals than the actual driver, am I right? The reason
I think this is (please forgive me for being too naive maybe) that when
encrypted traffic makes it through the route fine, then the driver must
handle it more or less correctly - but it should not handle that traffic
differently than the incoming traffic. The driver probably does not know
the difference between incoming and through-going traffic, at least not
while talking directly to the hardware.
If this is correct, debugging this problem should be a lot easier than
if it would be closer to the hardware. Do you think this is more or less
correct or am I too optimistic?

Something connected to debugging: is it possible to have the b43 driver
working as module, sitting on USB storage, so that it is not necessary
to recompile and reflash the whole kernel everytime a change on the
driver is made - maybe not even reboot (just change the module and
unload/reload it)?

Frank