[sheepdog-users] run vm on recovering node

Liu Yuan namei.unix at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 12:15:06 CET 2012

On 12/20/2012 06:57 PM, Valerio Pachera wrote:
> Hi, I run a windows7 guest on the 4th node of my cluster.
> I kiled 1th node.
> I made copy/paste of few file on desktop.
> Restarted sheep on the 1th node and turned off the guest while node 1
> was recovering.
> Still during the recovery, I started the same guest on node 1.
> *The guest was able to start but there was no file on the desktop.*
> I turned off the guest, waited couple of minutes.
> Recovery on node 1 was still running, then *I started the guest again
> on node 4 and the file were on the desktop*.
> Once again, turned off the guest on node 4, waited for node 1 to
> complete the recovery and started the guest on node 1...*NO file on
> the desktop!*
> I run 'collie vdi check win7' on node 1 (it took 20 minutes) and the
> guest is still not showing file on the desktop.
> The disk check didn't show any output.
>
> *I thought there maybe a disk corruption but not to see the same disk
> behaving like two different disks.*
>
> --So, do not run anything from a node that is recovering, right?--

Actually the answer is you CAN run the guest from any node when cluster
is recovering.

If no object cache enabled, you don't need to do anything special to
migrate the VM.

If object cache is enabled, you need to do following before migrating
the VM:
 - stop the VM named test
 - run 'collie vdi cache delete test' which will assure that all the
data get up to date of particular VM.

Then you can enjoy running Test any node you want.