[sheepdog-users] sheepdog vs ceph question

Andrew J. Hobbs ajhobbs at desu.edu
Mon Apr 28 15:24:35 CEST 2014

On 04/28/2014 02:00 AM, 飞 wrote:
hello, I want to using sheepdog and ceph for qemu,
Do you have report on the performance test comparing the sheepdog and ceph ? thank you.
by the way, is Taobao.Inc use sheepdog for production ?

I originally did some performance comparisons between ceph and sheepdog.  In the end, though, I went with sheepdog as ceph had recently gone to an automated script for setup, and that script didn't properly understand using multiple interfaces.  The user's list was also unhelpful in that situation.  Although I must say, the idea of having unified storage was attractive, the reality is still that file level mechanics in ceph are not what they should be for production.  Excellent for vdis if your configuration is supported by ceph.

Sheepdog has been much more flexible for me though.  Easier to setup, extend, and maintain.  Excellent performance, especially when using object or journal caches, which you'd have to use for ceph as well.  Friendlier community as well, which was a big win in my book.