[sheepdog-users] Fwd: [sheepdog] Update of "Getting started" docs on Github wiki

Valerio Pachera sirio81 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 23:16:59 CEST 2014

> Hi list,
>
> First off I understand you've produced some kick-ass software, and I'd
> like to use it myself! Unfortunately the first thing people see is not
> the great software, but the documentation. The documentation is
> definitely okay, but I think we can make some improvements, and I want
> to help!
>
> I'm new to sheepdog and just started to read the Getting started guide.
> Most things I understand fine, but some things were a bit unclear and
> fuzzy. So I updated the wiki to reflect what I think you mean in a few
> places. Please review my changes (link below) so I'm not lying. ;)

Hi, thank you for your review, I think the corrections you made are fine.

But there were other parts where I'm not confident enough to make any
> changes. Like these:
>
> > Usually sheepdog and QEMU are installed on every node, and the cluster
> > manager on three nodes.
>
> Should this maybe say "and the cluster manager on all nodes"?

corosync, all nodes;
zookeer, 3 nodes can monitor hundreds of other nodes.

> > Sheepdog has the back-end store to store the data object persistently
> > on the node basis.
>
> I don't really get this, could this be put in another way?

I also don't get it.
If no one can explain it better, we can remove it.

> > 2. Boot the virtual machine without sheep daemon started on local node
> > <pre>
> > $ qemu-system-x86_64 sheepdog:192.168.2.45:7000:Alice
>
> Should this be "Boot the virtual machine with sheepdog daemon running on
> a remote node"?

I think you can change it.
The following is a third way to say the same thing:
"Boot the virtual machine that is stored on the cluster from a server that
isn't part of the cluster"

> Other points:
>
> o You use "sheepdog" and "Sheepdog" inconsistently, which one do you
>   wish to use? I can probably update it if you let me know.
>
> o Some places says "sheep daemon", should this be "sheepdog daemon"?
>   Again, just for the sake of consistency.

Sheepdog refer to the project in general (so the combination of sheep and
dog).
sheep is the name of prcess/daemon that is running on the server.
Like when speaking of Samba e smbd.
I think it's correct to use the upper case letter for Sheepdog because is
the name of the project.
For sheep process, it's not.

> Please review the changes I made here:
>
> https://github.com/sheepdog/sheepdog/wiki/Getting-Started/_compare/cbc8900aca247a619222425b09bf94538712264e...410e3b4f510f9f1bd73c5fd677a8ef6efea415d9
>
> And please let me know if this is appreciated and if you are interested
> in more feedback like this.

Your review is very welcome and appreciated.
I recently made many changes on the "getting started" section but I got no
time to review.
There were some new and old typos.

You may also want to read the Administrator Manual
http://www.sheepdog-project.org/doc/

There are the same information you find in the wiki but more verbose and
hopefully easier to understand for a new user.