[sheepdog-users] Some question from new user

Raymond Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Wed Nov 15 21:19:40 CET 2017

> 1) is sheepdog stable and ready for production use?
I am just finishing a prototype on a set of three servers.  Can't answer
this yet

> 2) do I need any metadata servers (like Ceph) or the only needed servers
are
> the storage ones (like Gluster) ?
No metadata servers needed.

> 3) can I use multiple disks in a server, or each server should "expose" a
single
> filesystem (thus, I have to use RAID)
In my prototype, I use two physical drives, stripe them together with ZFS,
and export the pool to sheepdog

> 4) is RAID suggested ? I prefere to use some JBOD
The above combo gives some local speed with jbod, and sheepdog takes care of
the redundancy

> 5) is possible to expose a POSIX filesystem stored on sheepdog?
Does sheepfs do that, havn't looked into it yet.

> 6) how to use S3 API ?
Don't know

> 7) any "scrub" feature to be sure that all object a replicated properly
and not
> subject to "bit-rot" ?
I have the same mind set about bitrot, and sheepdog doesn't deal with that,
which is why I used zfs to handle that with striping.  I could have used
btrfs.

Some links for some of the build I am doing:

http://blog.raymond.burkholder.net/index.php?/archives/852-ZFS-Install-Notes
-for-use-with-Sheepdog.html

http://blog.raymond.burkholder.net/index.php?/archives/849-Sheepdog-Notes.ht
ml

http://blog.raymond.burkholder.net/index.php?/archives/855-Corosync-in-a-Thr
ee-Some.html

http://blog.raymond.burkholder.net/index.php?/archives/856-Sheepdog-Configur
ation.html

http://blog.raymond.burkholder.net/index.php?/archives/857-virsh-for-qemukvm
.html

I am finalizing routing in the next few days, and then can see if this whole
thing works as expected.

> Thank you
> --
>
> --