[sheepdog-users] Some question from new user

Vasiliy Tolstov v.tolstov at selfip.ru
Thu Nov 16 08:42:03 CET 2017

<gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com>:
> Hi to all.
> I've looked sheepdog some years ago while it was in development stage.
>
> Some questions:
>
> 1) is sheepdog stable and ready for production use?

It contains rough edges firstly with cluster recovery when nodes up/down.

> 2) do I need any metadata servers (like Ceph) or the only needed
> servers are the storage ones (like Gluster) ?

No metadata needed, but you need cluster manager (zookeeper, corosync).
I'm try corosync and it not very stable (not sheepdog, but corosync)
Sometimes i have split bran when cluster
divided on parts and only restart corosync solved this issue. (i'm try
corosync 2.x)

> 3) can I use multiple disks in a server, or each server should
> "expose" a single filesystem (thus, I have to use RAID)

Sheepdog supports multidisk but you need metastore to save epoch and
config data so raid is preferrable.

> 4) is RAID suggested ? I prefere to use some JBOD

see upper

> 5) is possible to expose a POSIX filesystem stored on sheepdog?

you can't expose filesystem from vdi, because vdi is block device.

> 6) how to use S3 API ?

simplify install nginx, proxy pass to sheepdog and get/post/put/delete
to url see sheepdog wiki

> 7) any "scrub" feature to be sure that all object a replicated
> properly and not subject to "bit-rot" ?

No, but sheepdog have cluster check (in my case works sometimes with errors)

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: v.tolstov at selfip.ru