[Sheepdog] questions about qemu-img and sheepdog

MORITA Kazutaka morita.kazutaka at lab.ntt.co.jp
Wed Jan 12 12:51:11 CET 2011

At Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:49:03 +0800,
jidalyg_8711 wrote:

> [1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <text/plain; gb2312 (base64)>]
>
> Hi, I've used the sheepdog .It is the great project!
>
> I have one question about qemu-img and sheepdog,
> Does sheepdog support the growable disk images (their size increase as non empty sectors are written),Like as :
>
> $qemu-img -b sheepdog:debian -f qcow2 sheepdog : debian_inc

A snapshot tag is missing for the base image, and you can use only a
raw format for Sheepdog.

> sheepdog : debian is the based image
> sheepdog : debian_inc is the increase image.
>
> I tried this command ,but failed. So how the sheepdog create the increase images?

Try the followings:

 1. Create a base image
      $ qemu-img convert ./image.raw sheepdog:debian

 2. Take a snapshot to use as a base image
      $ qemu-img snapshot -c base sheepdog:debian

 3. Create a cloned image from sheepdog:debian:base
      $ qemu-img create -b sheepdog:debian:base sheepdog:debian_inc

See also:
  http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/Sheepdog/Getting_Started