[Sheepdog] Few things

krimson krims0n32 at gmail.com
Sun May 22 13:27:15 CEST 2011

Hello,

First of all, thanks for working on sheepdog, it is a project that looks
very promising. I've been following this list for a while now and
finally started testing sheepdog yesterday. I have a couple of
questions/remarks:

1) if I do not specify -l LOG_ERR to the sheep daemon it creates a lot
of logging to sheep.log and eats up a lot of CPU in the process, making
operations like qemu-img convert and create very very slow. It seems to
me LOG_ERR should be the default instead of LOG_INFO ?

2) if the sheep store is unavailable (for example the sheepdog device
was not mounted), the sheep daemon tends to hang and consume 100% CPU
(possibly also to the logging issue). If it gets confused in this way, I
have to rm -rf /sheep/* before I can restart the sheep daemon and have
it join the cluster again. Perhaps add a little more robustness to this
scenario :)

3) Is the trac site the proper place to report issues ? If so, it would
be nice if you could add the GIT repository to it if possible, so we can
browse and see the changes in Timeline :) There seems to be a repository
attached right now but the last change was 7 weeks ago which doesn't
seem right.

Thanks again !