[Sheepdog] Trouble installing Sheepdog on EL6.0

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Wed Nov 23 04:44:26 CET 2011

On 11/22/2011 09:58 PM, Liu Yuan wrote:
> On 11/23/2011 01:15 AM, Digimer wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>>    I'm pretty new to Sheepdog, but have some experience with RHCS stable
>> 2 and 3.
>>
>>    I'd like to try installing and playing with Sheepdog, understanding
>> that it is not production ready. To this end, I followed the
>> instructions here;
>>
>> https://github.com/collie/sheepdog/wiki/Getting-Started
>>
>>    I removed corosync as shipped with EL6 and installed from source, also
>> qemu. When I tried to 'make rpm', it failed with this;
>>

> did you successfully compile corosync from source (the upstream corosync
> split out logger, named libqb, which can be cloned from
> git://github.com/asalkeld/libqb.git)? That is, you need compile libqb
> firstly and then corosync.
>
>> =====
>> error: Failed build dependencies:
>>      corosync is needed by sheepdog-0.2.4_108_g45eb24f-1.el6.x86_64
>>      corosynclib is needed by sheepdog-0.2.4_108_g45eb24f-1.el6.x86_64
>>      corosynclib-devel is needed by sheepdog-0.2.4_108_g45eb24f-1.el6.x86_64
>> make: *** [rpm] Error 1
>> =====
>>
>>    Any advise on what I could/should try?
>>

> As a alternative, you can simply install the binary from source instead
> of making rpm.
>
> Thanks,
> Yuan

Oddly enough, I just got corosync working now on CentOS 6.0. It turns
out that the sheepdog tutorial points to an old, out of date subversion
repository. With the help of asalkeld on #linux-cluster, the following
was the proper build method;

====
yum -y remove corosync corosynclib corosynclib-devel
cd ~
git clone git://github.com/corosync/corosync.git
cd corosync
git checkout -b flatiron origin/flatiron
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-nss
make install
cd ~
====

As for sheepdog itself, it built fine normally. I'm not going to worry
about building the RPM at this time. :)

Now, to try and make sheepdog work!

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"omg my singularity battery is dead again.
stupid hawking radiation." - epitron