[sheepdog] zookeeper driver join panic

Kai Zhang kyle at zelin.io
Fri Jun 28 13:25:51 CEST 2013

On Jun 28, 2013, at 11:41 AM, Liu Yuan <namei.unix at gmail.com> wrote:

> The current master election process is too complicted to me, the payback is to
> solve a very unusal corner startup case. I guess it needs time to get stablized,
> Is this really worthwhile? We should reconsider the old method, since it is quit
> simple and well tested. What do you think?

To be honest, I have an opposite opinion.

-  I don't think the current master election process is too complicated.
    There is only one simple rule: sheep with the least sequential number become master.
    And this is also a standard way that is suggested officially.
    And I believe there are many distributed systems are using the same way for master election.

-  It is not an unusual case, every time when network is crowd for a long time, it will be sure to happen.

-  The current zookeeper driver has been tested under several situations.
    In addition, I will also start to do more testings as soon as possible.
    I think I can manage to fix any problem about the stability.

-  I don't think 'quit' is a good manner in a production environment. We should do our best
    to protect them from quit. (This is because a 'quit' will be aware by Guest OS)

-  Based on our testing results, the previous zookeeper driver is not quite stable, at least, not as stable as corosync.

-  Maybe the complexity is caused by the current implementation. I think we can clean code if needed.
    However, I prefer the dirty code which can do right things than a clean code which contains bugs.
    The original intention of the patch is that previous implementation has fatal error.

Thanks,
Kyle