[sheepdog] Could cluster-wide snapshot be restored into different cluster with different number nodes?

Ruoyu liangry at ucweb.com
Mon Sep 22 08:01:11 CEST 2014

On 2014年09月22日 13:36, 朱波 wrote:

> Hi, folks
>    I'm a new sheepdog user, I have run sheepdog on 15 sheepdog nodes.
> And do cluster-wide snapshot for this cluster.
> Recently, I restored the snapshot into a new cluster with 7 nodes. But
> it failed. the command "dog vdi list" would show me some object can't
> be found. And currently we don't have more nodes and time to verify
> whether it would be successful when restore it into a new cluster with
> 15 sheepdog nodes.
> So I have two questions want to check with you guru:
> 1. Could cluster-wide snapshot be restored  into different  cluster
> with different number node?
Yes. Cluster-wide snapshot is de-duplicated. It can be restored into
different cluster with different number of nodes and with different
redundancy level.
>> 2. If one cluster-wide snapshot is failed(after restored,  "dog vdi
> list" will show some object can't be found), would another new
> cluster-wide snapshot based on the failed one be successful? in other
> words, the first tag of cluster-wide snapshot is failed, can the
> second tag be successful? Are they independent?
What is your sheep's version? And, how you produce the failure (some
objects not found)? Maybe it is relevant to a bug which is fixed recently.
https://github.com/sheepdog/sheepdog/commit/7e236cee8951aa749b84e9b66fbb86385a92b450