[Stgt-devel] Linux Kernel Version

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp
Thu Jul 13 03:59:24 CEST 2006

From: Tom Tucker <tom at opengridcomputing.com>
Subject: [Stgt-devel] Linux Kernel Version
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 09:44:03 -0500

> What is the plan regarding following kernel.org? By that I mean what
> dependencies are not upstream that the current stgt project relies on
> and what is the schedule to get those dependencies pushed upstream?

Now we have three parts related with tgt in -mm kernels (through
scsi-target git tree).

o tgt core : we have only one not-merged patch in the svn tree
o ibmvscsi target driver
o libsrp : provides SRP library functions, ibmvscsi target driver
depends on this

So almost everything that ibmvscsi target driver needs is in -mm
kernels.

About iSCSI (and iSER), we need three following parts in addition to
the above parts.

o libiscsi : we add to target support to the current code.
o scsi_transport_iscsi : ditto
o iscsi_tcp : we takes initiator specific stuff out of this and move
it to iscsi_tcp_initiator.
o iscsi_tcp_initiator : see above
o iscsi_tcp_target : provies target specific stuff

You can see them at:

http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/stgt/trunk/istgt

They got a bit out of data. They are based on open-iscsi r596 code.

Mike has been reviewing them and we will post them to scsi-ml. We need
to get permission to put them into mainline.

iSER needs modifications to libiscsi and iscsi_iser. Possibly, we have
something like iscsi_target.

About schedule, please ask James. :) I think that tgt core and
ibmvscsi driver is not so far. Andrew said last month, "SCSI target
patches are being worked on - perhaps a 2.6.18/2.6.19 feature" (though
we already missed 2.6.18).

http://www.osdl.jp/docs/Seminar0613/AndrewMorton_Status_and_Direction_of_Kernel_Development.pdf

> The OpenFabrics stack and iWARP branch are pre-requisites for iSER
> support and these branches are way upstream from James's git tree.
>
> Would it be possible to get James to post a patch patch for the required
> kernel changes so that we could apply this patch to the kernel we need?

I made the tgt patch for 2.6.17. Would it help?

http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/stgt/trunk/patchset/tgt-2.6.17.patch

Sorry. There is no instruction about it yet. I will write something
later on.

As you said, it's complicated to run tgt right now. I've been working
on it because some people might be interested in tgt after OLS. I want
to make sure that everyone can run tgt without effort. I'm in the
middle of large user-space rewrite (I've commited some last night).

Sorry for delay about iSER tgt stuff. I will work on it after OLS. If
you guys teach me how to setup Chelsio T3 at OLS, I can work on it
right after OLS. :)