[Stgt-devel] vtl patch.

Mark Harvey markh794
Wed Apr 11 04:06:18 CEST 2007

On 4/11/07, FUJITA Tomonori <fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> From: "Mark Harvey" <markh794 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Stgt-devel] vtl patch.
> Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 09:56:10 +1000
>
> > Apologies for this being an attachment. It is rather large to include
> > inline (57k).
> >
> > Follow up to feedback from earlier postings, I have implemented the following:
> >

> > This patch includes the following changes.
> >
> > - Patch to tgtadm so multiple '--name, --value' arguments can be passed.
>
> Why do we need multiple arguments?
>
> I prefer to keep the current semantics:
>
> $ tgtadm --lld iscsi --mode logicalunit --op update --tid=1 --lun=0 \
>          -n VendorIdent -v QUANTUM
> $ tgtadm --lld iscsi --mode logicalunit --op update --tid=1 --lun=0 \
>          -n ProductIdent -v SDLT600
> $ tgtadm --lld iscsi --mode logicalunit --op update --tid=1 --lun=0 \
>          -n ProductRev -v 0001
> $ tgtadm --lld iscsi --mode logicalunit --op update --tid=1 --lun=0 \
>          -n SerialNumber -v XYZZY10
>
> rather than:
>
> tgtadm --lld iscsi --mode logicalunit --op update --tid=1 --lun=0 \
>         -n VendorIdent -v QUANTUM       \
>         -n ProductIdent -v SDLT600      \
>         -n ProductRev -v 0001           \
>         -n SerialNumber -v XYZZY10
>

> The rest looks ok.

Thanks for the feedback.

While setting the Vendor Ident etc can be easly acheived one field at
a time, configuring the parameters for the SMC device requires
multiple parameters at the same time.

e.g.
> (Reserve address space for storage slots)
> --name=ElementType --value=[1|2|3]
> --name=StartAddress --value=number
> --name=Quanity --value=number
> --name=Sides --value=[1|2]          (Single/double sided)

I need to get the element type, starting address and number of slots
and if media is single/double sided (or at minimum, the element type
and the element address - if configuring a slot per instance of
tgtcmd)

> (To reserve address space for 'drives')
> --name=ElementType --value=4
> --name=StartAddress --value=number
> --name=Quanity --value=number
> --name=Type --value="ssc|mmc|sbc"

Again for slots which contain Data Transfer Elements, the element
type, slot number, type of 'data transfer element' needs to be passed
in 'one go'

Same basic argument for the two other configuration options below..

> (To 'tie' a previously known TID/LUN to a slot Address..)
> --name=ElementType --value=4
> --name=Address --value=<Within Range from above>
> --name=tid --value=<tid>
> --name=lun --value=<lun>
> --name=SerialNumber --value-<Device S/No>

> To 'populate' slots with 'media'
> --name=ElementType --value=[2|3]
> --name=Address --value=<slot number>
> --name=BarCode --value="string"

The only other way I can see to acheive this would be to create unique
options within tgtadm. The number of unique options within tgtadm is
already quite long, hence I followed the '--name=<> --value=<>'
option.

Cheers
Mark