[Stgt-devel] VTL - tgtadm syntax additions (Long)

Mark Harvey markh794
Mon Mar 26 08:37:22 CEST 2007

On 3/26/07, Ming Zhang <blackmagic02881 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 10:19 +1000, Mark Harvey wrote:
> > As the idea of hijacking the 'backing file' for use as a configuration
> > file has not received the most positive resonse, I have put together
> > some ideas for adding to the syntax of tgtadm to allow the
> > configuration and customization of SSC and SMC devices.
>
> looks fine to me. then u also need command to load/eject virtual
> cartridge? and each cartridge will need some parameters as well?

Good point. To load virtual media into a single SSC device, some way
of a user being able to identify the virtual media name will be
required (from a command line).

The 'load' and unload / eject commands are sent to the tape drive
itself. Its more a matter of being able to specify the media ID /
barcode. The Load command is an 'open()', while a eject is a 'close()'

There will be some sort of internal interface between the SMC and SSC
so a 'path name' to the virtual media can be passed. e.g. A MOVE
MEDIUM command will basically pass the virtual media name (filename)
to the SSC Logical unit.

My current implementation (non-iSCSI) uses a messageQ. I'll most
likely use what every the tgtadm/tgtd uses. Currently I pass "load
barcode" to load "stand-alone" media and the SMC device sends a 'lload
barcode' command via the messageQ.

Regards
Mark

> > I have not attempted to implement any of the syntax, but am posting to
> > the list for comments before putting any effort into coding.
[snip]