[Stgt-devel] VTL - tgtadm syntax additions (Long)

Ming Zhang blackmagic02881
Mon Mar 26 15:39:12 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 16:37 +1000, Mark Harvey wrote:
> On 3/26/07, Ming Zhang <blackmagic02881 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 10:19 +1000, Mark Harvey wrote:
> > > As the idea of hijacking the 'backing file' for use as a configuration
> > > file has not received the most positive resonse, I have put together
> > > some ideas for adding to the syntax of tgtadm to allow the
> > > configuration and customization of SSC and SMC devices.
> >
> > looks fine to me. then u also need command to load/eject virtual
> > cartridge? and each cartridge will need some parameters as well?
>
> Good point. To load virtual media into a single SSC device, some way
> of a user being able to identify the virtual media name will be
> required (from a command line).

yes, need a barcode, and maybe a WORM media or not, and blah blah u can
think of. :P

> The 'load' and unload / eject commands are sent to the tape drive
> itself. Its more a matter of being able to specify the media ID /
> barcode. The Load command is an 'open()', while a eject is a 'close()'

yes. we have 2 set, one set from backup app and another from emulation
the user actions on physical drives.

> There will be some sort of internal interface between the SMC and SSC
> so a 'path name' to the virtual media can be passed. e.g. A MOVE
> MEDIUM command will basically pass the virtual media name (filename)
> to the SSC Logical unit.

yes, will you emulate ADI as well?

> My current implementation (non-iSCSI) uses a messageQ. I'll most
> likely use what every the tgtadm/tgtd uses. Currently I pass "load
> barcode" to load "stand-alone" media and the SMC device sends a 'lload
> barcode' command via the messageQ.

sounds ok to me. as long as these commands are defined in a command
table and documented!