[stgt] [Scst-devel] [ANNOUNCE]: Comparison of features sets between different SCSI targets (SCST, STGT, IET, LIO)

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Apr 6 11:44:58 CEST 2009

Vladislav Bolkhovitin schrieb:
> Tomasz Chmielewski, on 04/04/2009 11:12 PM wrote:
>> Vladislav Bolkhovitin schrieb:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I set up http://scst.sourceforge.net/comparison.html page, which
>>> compares features of existing SCSI target subsystems for Linux. The
>>> comparison includes SCST, STGT, IET and LIO.
>>>
>>> I might be not fully correct somewhere, so, if you don't agree with
>>> me about some item(s) in the comparison table, please let me know and
>>> I will fix that.
>>
>> Performance is a bit debatable.
>
> The result "in average" was listed in the comparison. Of course, one
> target can be better somewhere, another one somewhere else. That a
> nature of storage: it's pretty hard to optimize for all at once.

True.

> BTW, if I remember correctly your logs, you didn't apply all the SCST
> kernel patches on your kernel. Then your results aren't much applicable
> to this comparison, because it assumes all SCST kernel patches applied.

I made three tests:
- STGT (with standard Debian Lenny kernel)
- SCST with default build options (i.e. no "make debug2perf"), no kernel
patches (standard Debian Lenny kernel)
- SCST + "make debug2perf", with kernel patches (Debian Lenny .config +
SCST patches and proper option enabled)

I'll post the results shortly.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski