[stgt] Why "Microsoft iscsi" cannot work well with stgt (but it worked well with ietd)?

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp
Fri Feb 13 05:29:54 CET 2009

Seems that kernel.org rejects mails with attachment.

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:52:05 +0800
Cheng Renquan <crquan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 9:33 AM, FUJITA Tomonori
> <fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> > With tgt, Windows complains about the unknown device about
> > 'controller'. But once you tell Windows that you don't want to install
> > any driver for it and ignore it, then Windows will never
> > complain. Then you can use other logical units.
>
> How do you mean by "don't want to install any driver for it and ignore it"?
> Have you tested and verified that?

Yes, I use tgt with Windows XP (initiator 2.08).

When Windows finds an unknown device and ask you where you see for the
driver. Then you need to tell Windows that you want to do nothing
about the driver.

> I have tested within WindowsXP and Windows2003, after iSCSI Logon, the
> "IET Controller" (LUN 0) will be displayed in "Other unknown devices"
> in "Device Manager"; while the "IET Virtual Disk" (LUN 1) displayed as
> known device in "Disk Drives" category, which is the same as logon
> from IET;
> but at this time the "IET Virtual Disk" volume didn't appear in the
> "Disk Management", thus not usable,

My Windows shows "IET Virtual Disk" volume in the "Disk Management":

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tomo/tgt/xp.jpg

It's Japanese edition but I guess that you see how it can work for me.

> However, disable the "IET Controller" or uninstall it both cannot make
> the "IET Virtual Disk" appear into "Disk Management", I have no idea
> how to debug this problem, I never read the SCSI standards, maybe
> "microsoft iscsi" didn't conform standards to handle this type of
> device,

Well, iSCSI is one of SCSI transports. It should not be related with
this issue. Windows SCSI stack doesn't recognize IET controller.

> > 'controller' lun 0 enables me to have the better design than IET.
> How do you mean by "better design"? Is the controller mandatory? Why?
> Maybe better conform SCSI standards?
>
> BTW, I want to read the SCSI standards (seems only www.t10.org have
> them), but t10.org seems not willing to publicly publish the SCSI
> standards, I have no permission to access those standards documents,
> is that true? Why that organization cannot published those documents
> like the RFCs published by IETF?

Yes, unfortunately. They changed the policy last year. That's really
bad and stupid move in my opinion.