[stgt] Why "Microsoft iscsi" cannot work well with stgt (but it worked well with ietd)?

Cheng Renquan crquan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 07:27:00 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 12:29 PM, FUJITA Tomonori
<fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> Yes, I use tgt with Windows XP (initiator 2.08).
>
> When Windows finds an unknown device and ask you where you see for the
> driver. Then you need to tell Windows that you want to do nothing
> about the driver.

>> I have tested within WindowsXP and Windows2003, after iSCSI Logon, the
>> "IET Controller" (LUN 0) will be displayed in "Other unknown devices"
>> in "Device Manager"; while the "IET Virtual Disk" (LUN 1) displayed as
>> known device in "Disk Drives" category, which is the same as logon
>> from IET;
>> but at this time the "IET Virtual Disk" volume didn't appear in the
>> "Disk Management", thus not usable,
>
> My Windows shows "IET Virtual Disk" volume in the "Disk Management":
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tomo/tgt/xp.jpg
>
> It's Japanese edition but I guess that you see how it can work for me.

Yes, your picture showed it did work,

Then I've tested with more Windows machines (XP & 2003), some worked
while some not, it seems a random problem, or I have not perceived
what problems happended to those windows,

I've also tested with SCST, with which all LUNs can be defined
specificly, TYPE_RAID (0xc) can be used as the first LUN or not, it
has scst_disk, scst_vdisk, scst_raid, all can be used alone, combined
freely.
I think that design maybe better?

>> However, disable the "IET Controller" or uninstall it both cannot make
>> the "IET Virtual Disk" appear into "Disk Management", I have no idea
>> how to debug this problem, I never read the SCSI standards, maybe
>> "microsoft iscsi" didn't conform standards to handle this type of
>> device,
>
> Well, iSCSI is one of SCSI transports. It should not be related with
> this issue. Windows SCSI stack doesn't recognize IET controller.

>> > 'controller' lun 0 enables me to have the better design than IET.
>> How do you mean by "better design"? Is the controller mandatory? Why?
>> Maybe better conform SCSI standards?
>>
>> BTW, I want to read the SCSI standards (seems only www.t10.org have
>> them), but t10.org seems not willing to publicly publish the SCSI
>> standards, I have no permission to access those standards documents,
>> is that true? Why that organization cannot published those documents
>> like the RFCs published by IETF?
>
> Yes, unfortunately. They changed the policy last year. That's really
> bad and stupid move in my opinion.

Sigh,

--
Cheng Renquan, Shenzhen, China
Katharine Hepburn  - "Life is hard. After all, it kills you."