[stgt] stgt target kernel component

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp
Sat Sep 5 11:06:31 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 15:39:52 -0700 (PDT)
charles zhuang <cjiazhuang at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think for iscsi tcp and iscsi iser, everything is in user space,
>  so I only need tgtd daemon with tgtadm to configure it. Is my
>  understanding correct?

Yes,

> If so, what modification that stgt project has done to linux kernel
> side and when do we need the kernel components? My guess is that the
> kernel components are only needed in srp, which we need scsi_tgt.ko
> (tgt core) and scsi_transport_srp.ko. Is it correct?

It isn't.

scsi_tgt.ko is for tgt's kernel-space drivers
(e.g. drivers/scsi/ibmvscsi/ibmvstgt.c)
drivers/scsi/ibmvscsi/ibmvstgt.c uses scsi_transport_srp.

If you are interested in other potential tgt's kernel-space drivers,
see:

http://stgt.berlios.de/

We don't need tgt kernel driver for Infiniband SRP; a user-space
driver should work fine.

> I am looking for a solution that I can move the iscsi state machine
> back to kernel, so really appreciate if there's some more
> elaboration on how scsi_tgt.ko core interact with the kernel.

If you are looking for the iSCSI state machine in kernel, I recommend
IET, SCST, core-iscsi, etc.