[wpkg-users] Putting log files on samba server.

sbotsford sbotsford at sjsa.ab.ca
Sun Apr 23 01:10:33 CEST 2006

I'm not a fan of windows event logger.  Way too many clicks to find
out what I want to know.  Too much other stuff.

I'm also not a fan of letting things just happen.

Here's my solution, maybe it will help someone else.

In this case conan is my my file server (conan the librarian...)

Samba share:

[wpkglog]
         comment = Log location for windows packager
         path = /Installers/wpkg/logs
         browseable = no
         writeable = yes
         guest ok = yes

It's not browseable so that black hats have to work to find it to put
evil things in place.

have to explicityly declare it to be writable, because guest access
defaults to read only. (You also must make it writable by all on the
unix side  chmod a+rw /Installers/wpkg/logs)

Now because this is a subdirectory of the install share, which has no
client write access, I have to map it to a different letter.

So now my wpkg start file looks like this:

set INST=\\conan\Installers
set WPKG=\\conan\Installers\wpkg
set LOG=\\conan\wpkglog
set DLL=C:\winnt\system32
set HDWRINSP=\\conan\installers\Hardware\Inspiron1300

net use L: %LOG%

cscript %WPKG%\wpkg.js /synchronize /debug /nonotify >
L:\%COMPUTERNAME%.log

(Above appears as one line.)

This allows several things:

1.  I can check the results of the latest run without visiting the
machine

2. I can use tools such as sdiff to compare runs on two machines to
see what is different between different machines that should be the same.

3.  I can use grep with appropriate context switches to look for
FAILED and see what the stuff just before it/after it is without going
through the entire log file.

4.  I can look at the file dates, to see WHEN the last run went.