[wpkg-users] Reboot=AtEnd?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Sun Apr 23 16:19:36 CEST 2006

sbotsford wrote:

> I've run into several packages that give you the option to reboot, and
> tell you that the package doesn't take effect until a reboot.
>
> Right now the attribute reboot takes two values, true or false.  I
> suggest a third option, AtEnd, neaning that this package needs a reboot,
> but it doesn't have to be immediate.
>
> So for example, Internet Explorer 6 service pack 1 and win2k Service
> Pack 4 both require a reboot to take effect.  But they don't need a
> reboot between them.
>
> So if reboot=atend was an option, wpkg would:
> Organize by priorities.
> Organize by depends
> Within any priority, install anything that said reboot=false
> install anything that said reboot=atend
> install one package that said reboot=true.
>
> This could save a lot of reboots.

It would be a nice feature, and a useful one I guess.

Technically, it should be easy to implement:

- if a package has reboot=atend, set the value of the variable accordingly
- before WPKG ends its execution, check the value of the variable. If it
points that we should reboot at end, do it.

Feel free to add the request on http://bugs.wpkg.org.