"Advanced WPKG" (WAS: Re: [wpkg-users] MD5 hash)

Jerry Haltom wasabi at larvalstage.net
Wed Apr 5 16:22:18 CEST 2006

I actually considered this a long time ago. Simple solution is to bundle
rsync with wpkg and allow one to specify a remote rsync location to
retrieve packages. When this attribute exists, wpkg simply syncs a local
temp directory with the specified one (perhaps resuming where it left
off), and when complete, issues the install command.

That rsync location can be either a single file off http, which rsync
already supports, or an rsync server hosting many software installs...
or even a smb path, which rsync would just copy from. Wpkg doesn't have
to implement anything protocol specific at all.

Simple addition, actually.

On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 11:37 +0200, Jérémie wrote:
> Tomasz Chmielewski a écrit :
> > Jérémie wrote:
> >>>

> >> That'd be _really_really_ cool ! Both with http(s) support, we'd be on
> >> the way to "winapt" ;) :P
> >
> > Hmm, interesting idea.
> >
> > Sounds like we could do:
> >
> > wpkg /update_sources  - to update package definitions
>
> /me so excited ! :D
>
> > wpkg /install_web acrobat_reader  - to install packages off the web
>
> I'd better have a sources.xml defining where to find package sources,
> and maybe thus providing a normalized way to define package path. Then
> whatever the sources you defined (smb, http or any other in the future),
> you would still use the same ''wpkg /install'' command.
>
> > However, I think perl installation would be an overkill for that.
>
> +1, one nice thing with wpkg is that it has "no" dependencies provided
> your windows setup satisfies to very few requirements. On the other
> hand, this may lead to "reinvent the wheel" if Perl could already
> provide usable code...
>
> > Probably we could use some Cygwin tools like wget, md5sum, unzip etc.,
> > installed in \\server\wpkg\tools?
>
> When I think to internet based deployment, a la apt/yum/urpmi..., these
> mandatory tools may be bundled with wpkg in a (silent) installer so that
> "isolated" hosts can be autonomous and pull their updates straight from
> a web server
>
> Very Bests
> Jérémie

wpkg-users mailing list