[wpkg-users] Possible bug in XML parsing code?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Sun Apr 23 17:38:48 CEST 2006

sbotsford wrote:

> Wpkg will exit on the following line
>
> <!-- Foo -- Explanation of foo -->
>
> but not on this:
>
> <!-- Foo = Explanation of foo -->
>
> I thought that anything between <!-- and --> was supposed to be a
> comment, or is this a syntax quirk of XML

Well, it's not really the code in wpkg.js that does the real XML parsing.

But a quick search in google for "xml syntax comment" reveals that
you're not allowed to use "--":

Syntax Rule 6: Comments

XML like many other languages allows comments. Comments are typically
discarded by the parser ? thus they will not appear in the output of,
say a browser.

The syntax of a comment is shown by the example below:

<!-- This is a Comment -->

The special element starting with the symbols <!-- and ending with the
symbols --> is the comment and the text within forms the content of the
comment. Note that comments cannot be nested since the use of the
character string "--" is completely prohibited within a comment.