[wpkg-users] hosts.xml question

Dr. Frank Lee rl201 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 20 01:20:51 CET 2006

> Seriously, it should be reasonable to add a "type" attribute:
>
> <host name="my-pc" profile-id="room1" />
> <host name="room1-pc.+" profile-id="room1" type="allmatching"/>
> <host name=".+" profile-id="everythingelse" type="someothertype" />
>
> I'm not good at making up names that late, so I'll leave the names to
> you (and if there should be just one type, or maybe more).

Neither am I (although it's slightly less late here), but I'd suggest

type='stop' (default)
and
type='continue' (carry on matching)

or possibly

match='exclusive' (default)
and
match='inclusive' (carry on matching)

so it's more human-friendly.

(Um, I think I'm also implying that there are only two types of match. I
didn't mean to! Have to confess, I've not used profiles yet for just this
reason - each of my hosts has an individual profile. It would be ace to
have a profile for some standard applications [anti-virus springs to mind]
and also for individual applications [which we allow our users to
customize])

Yours,

Frank