[wpkg-users] hosts.xml question

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Dec 20 00:36:52 CET 2006

Michael J. Kidd wrote:
> After reading over a LOT of data on WPKG, and doing some play'n..  I do
> have one question..  The hosts.xml file.  Does WPKG stop after it finds
> a match?

Yes, it stops on the first match.

> i.e. Can I specify several rules that match a given hostname
> and have all the profiles apply?

No, only the first match will apply.

> The reason I ask is this:
> I could specify one regex to match the hosname based on machine type,
> and therefore load up drivers for that platform.  Another regex to match
> specific host names for development boxes, another one for graphics
> boxes, etc...
>
> All the boxes starting m60 for example are Dell Precision M60 laptops,
> and thus need those drivers... the next 3 letters specify the type of
> load for the box, the last 3 letters specify the physical location and
> thus will specify what printer to map.
>
> I've probably rambled too much ...  From what I've read, I'm thinking
> that wpkg does stop at the first positive match ( where full hostnames
> take priority over regex ).  Could this be a feature request if this is
> the case?

Sure it could be.
Fill the request in the bugzilla, figure out how to implement it without
breaking backward compatibility, then write a patch, and it will likely
get into a next release :)

Seriously, it should be reasonable to add a "type" attribute:

<host name="my-pc" profile-id="room1" />
<host name="room1-pc.+" profile-id="room1" type="allmatching"/>
<host name=".+" profile-id="everythingelse" type="someothertype" />

I'm not good at making up names that late, so I'll leave the names to
you (and if there should be just one type, or maybe more).

Make sure to fill the request in the bugzilla.

For those interested in WPKG installer, there is yet another version:

http://wpkg.org/files/beta/installer/wpkg-installer-0.90-pre2.zip

Among new features - one can specify the text displayed when the logon
is delayed.