[wpkg-users] When should I use WPKG Installer?

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Wed Nov 15 04:09:04 CET 2006

The only documentation I see for WPKG Installer is at
http://www.wpkg.org/index.php/WPKG-Installer

but it doesn't answer my question, which is, when should I use WPKG
Installer?  I've got my \\roark\wpkg\wpkg-install.bat which runs:

[root at roark wpkg]# cat wpkg-install.bat
copy \\roark\wpkg\files\srvany.exe %SystemRoot%\System32
copy \\roark\wpkg\files\instsrv.exe %SystemRoot%\System32
instsrv "Windows Packager" "%SystemRoot%\System32\srvany.exe"
\\roark\wpkg\files\scripten.exe /Q /R:N
cscript.exe \\roark\wpkg\files\install-service.js
net start "Windows Packager"

and I use that to install WPKG on my clients, and hosts.xml,
packages.xml, and profiles.xml work fine for me.  So I am confused, when
should I be using WPKG Installer, and what benefits does it have over
what I'm doing now?