[wpkg-users] Definative installation commands?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Oct 23 13:59:39 CEST 2006

Joshua Weage wrote:
> I've noticed several different types of install commands in the silent
> install examples.  Some run msiexec directly, some use "cmd.exe /c
> start /wait ...", some utilize a setup.exe.
>
> Is there a recommended practice?
>
> I understand the use of "start /wait", as that seems to be the only way
> to make wpkg wait until the install is complete before running the
> check code.  Is this the recommended method?
>
> If there are any comments, I will add the recommended methods into the
> wiki.

In Windows world, there is no "standard" way of installing things, like
for example RPM in the Linux world.

Some of Windows installers are MSI packages, you install them with msiexec.
Some use custom (silent) installers, and one have to add flags like
/silent, -s, -silent, /s etc., or many other, often not documented flags.

Some programs don't have any silent installers, but as a workaround they
can be copied using "copy" command.

So, there is really no recommended method of installing things (other
than use msiexec if you have a MSI installer, use a silent switch/method
if you know how to use it, use copy command if there is no MSI package
nor a silent switch, but the application works if it's copied).