[wpkg-users] Running WPKG as a service

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Sep 19 20:59:37 CEST 2006

Urs Rau wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Mark Cairney wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just to share the fix I had for this particular problem- I created a
>> scheduled task at logon to restart the wpkg service. This appears to
>> give me the best of both worlds in that it checks it's state when a user
>> logs on but also has a service on the machine that can be started so
>> that updates can (if necessary) be pushed out to clients. Thanks for the
>> pointer.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mark
>
> Could you spell out the steps you took, please? Would this work for the
> scenario when users are not admins but restricted users, and therefore
> would work and update wpkg xml files and install remove software 'even -
> if' a user with admin rights never logged in to this workstation?
> I guess I am showing that I haven't tried scheduled tasks and therefore
> don't know what rights are effective for those things.

Well, that's the whole purpose of using WPKG - install software, even if
no user logged in - and even if he/she logged in, it doesn't matter if
that user is an admin or not, as the logon process is completely
unrelated to software deployment / WPKG process.

schtasks (or WPKG Installer, or any other *proper* way of starting WPKG)
start our tiny deployment tool as Administrator, SYSTEM user, or any
other user with sufficient rights.

> 'Subject' related question, but not wpkg related, can scheduled tasks be
> copied to file and updated or 'transported' to other machines by
> copying/updating files?

No, you will loose credentials, as they are not stored in the scheduled
tasks file, but somewhere else deep buried in the registry.

You will have to add a new task as described here:

http://wpkg.org/index.php/Installation_instructions_-_advanced#Starting_WPKG_using_Windows_Task_Scheduler

If you're using a Linux server, you can add a task remotely with winexe:

http://eol.ovh.org/winexe/