[wpkg-users] ***SPAM***Re: ***SPAM***Re: WPKG and Open-Audit.org

W. Chris Shank shankwc at acetechgroup.com
Mon Dec 3 03:01:32 CET 2007

Ok. Do a standard OpenAudit install (mysql, php, apache) and setup. I'll need FTP to move the files over and I guess mysql admin for the openaudit db in order to add the tables. Currently, most of our code is standalone from the default openaudit code. We need to modify a few of the default openaudit files to add the menu for package management, but i think that is it.

For our setup, we have the wpkg files in a directory called packages at the same level as the openaudit dir. In retrospect, i think it would be better placed in the openaudit dir. Openaudit must be able to write to this dirs and those below it, so that makes it easier and consistent if they are in the openaudit wwwroot. In the packages dir, our design has 2 dirs, one called packages (i know it's confusing) and the other called InstallPackages. packages holds the individual package xml files. We use that method instead of having one massive packages.xml file. The InstallPackages is where the executables go, effectively the %SOFTWARE% location.

For our setup, WPKG configuration and packages are maintained on a central Samba or Windows server that the clients can reach via the LAN. But our openaudit is someplace else, web accessible but not close enough to want all the clients pulling the packages from it. So we also have some code to push/pull the WPKG configs and exe's to the SAMBA/Windows PC. I don't plan to include this in code we opensource only because 1) it's specific to our implementation and 2) it's trivial for you to duplicate via rsync for your needs.

On each PC, the WPKG service is installed by WPKG as a bootstrap and a scheduled task runs once an hour to check for updates. We have wrapped it in an AutoIT exe so there is only one install and you can set and forget. We also setup WPKG to run the open-audit scan as a post install action. So the open-audit server should be pretty certain what is actually installed on the PC.

One of the other modifications we are putting into our OpenAudit/WPKG integration (and it's probably the hardest part) - is that each PC has it's own Profile (hostA = profileA, hostB = profileB). So we are introducing a concept of WPKG templates. This is strictly on the OpenAudit side, the XML written totally conforms to what WPKG wants. We like the idea of being able to broadly install a package on a lot of hosts, but don't want to lose the granularity of defining what each PC has installed directly. So far, we have found it's fairly straight forward to apply the template to the hosts, it will be tricky to figure out which hosts meet the requirements of a template. This will need to be done in with SQL. If this proves to too difficult to do (which it may) then we will just make do with applying a package to a large number of hosts.

We have been working our way backwards, toward the OpenAudit-WPKG integrated system. Or I guess, we have been working it from either end, hoping to join the two in the middle. One on hand, we have a fully functional WPKG infrastructure with a master server and syncronization to the local WPKG server. We also have OpenAudit successfully auditing the PCs regularly especially after the wpkg install.

The last few weeks have been busy so I haven't had much time to help Alex program this (he is a student working for me and learning javascript, php, dhtml, mysql). We have been working on the interface mostly, because the DHTML make it work right has been tricky. But I think I already mentioned this.

Anyway, just let me know when you have a sample site up and i'll upload what i have so far.