[wpkg-users] feature request / ideas for multiple locations with VPN ?

Frank Zimmer Frank.Zimmer at Zimmer-GmbH.de
Tue Feb 13 14:17:28 CET 2007

Hello all

Iam running wpkg on our company network, really great tool thanks alot for
it :-). We have multiple locations connected by a VPN. The problem is that
we have 1 server with all the packages. Now if we put a "big" new software
to the profiles we get some traffic problems ofc ;-). Bad thing is i cannot
use the PC names to seperate the PCs for different profiles and i dont want
to rename them all...
Now i had the idea to use the defaultgateway or ipadress of the client to
set some variable. For example 192.168.1.1 = servername1, 192.168.2.1 =
servername2 would be used as installation source.
It would be very nice to make a variable in the packages.xml like
"\\%installserver%\package\mysetup.exe" and if the %servername% variable is
not defined in the packages.xml its filled from a variable within wpkg.js.
I used the following script to get a list of all networkcards:

var wbemFlagReturnImmediately = 0x10;
var wbemFlagForwardOnly = 0x20;
var objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\\\.\\root\\CIMV2");
var colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_NetworkAdapter",
"WQL",
                                          wbemFlagReturnImmediately |
wbemFlagForwardOnly);

Anyone has other ideas how to solve this problem ? All locations use the
same DNS Server btw, so i cant setup some fake aliases to point to different
hosts. Also the Users with notebooks move between the locations to make it
more complicated ;-)

--
mfg
  Frank Zimmer