[wpkg-users] feature request / ideas for multiple locations with VPN ?

Greg MacLellan wpkg at list.mtechsolutions.ca
Sat Feb 17 01:05:08 CET 2007

The easiest way would probably be to use DNS to provide different IPs
depending on the network, it's fairly easy to setup with BIND, see:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/networking/news/views_0501.html
(on a side note, if you have multiple locations I would highly recommend
setting up multiple DNS servers anyways - what happens when your links
go down?)

Your idea of using the gateway address is not that bad either.. provided
you can get it, just have a script that runs wpkg.js (instead of running
it directly), and have the script set the variable. Default it to your
main server, then try to set it based on the gateway address.

If you always use \\%installserver%\ in packages.xml it should work just
fine (well, and be sure you have the shares synchronized with eg, rysnc
so all the files are always available).

ttyl, greg