[wpkg-users] Questions regarding WPKG Installer.

Michael J. Kidd wpkg at linuxkidd.com
Fri Feb 2 17:30:22 CET 2007

My initial thoughts on this are that you're going to run into a couple
of problems on the technical side...

1: Mounting shares across the internet in the open is a HUGE security
hole.  It would be best to establish a VPN connection with the
installation server, and map the shares across the VPN only.

2: Installation speed is gonna be S L O W.  If you try to push something
like MS Office across for example.. expect the user to be waiting for a
few hours for the install to complete.

The invocation of wpkg.js should be done after the VPN is established,
and any shares are mapped.  And ultimately, you'd need the end user (
with appropriate rights to install said software ) to launch the WPKG.js
service w/ the appropriate switches.  This could easily be done with a
desktop shortcut or the like.  Doing it in an automated fashion from the
browser will not be very practical since all the security changes in the
browser arena are specifically trying to block those types of things
from happening..

Just my thoughts...
Michael

.